Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Driving say what!

 What's new? One of my roommates went back to the UK to be there for his sick mother, and was planning on returning this week, but things have since worsened. His situation once again reminds me that if we have good health, we truly are fortunate. I can't imagine seriously contemplating the approaching death of my mother, or any family member or close friend for that matter.

On that super depressing note, he was kind enough to allow me the use of his car while away. Which has now become a chunk of time. 

Driving in Kampala is kind of like playing bumper cars with an imaginary bubble around you that you try not to pop...while in a video game involving suicidal boda-bodas coming at you from all angles, street sweepers and oblivious pedetrians you must avoid running over, not to mention the errant goat or chicken.

The other fun part is that his car is a manual, and the steering wheel is on the right side of the car, while I now drive on the left side, shift with my left hand and attempt to remember which way to enter on rounda-bouts and turns. Needless to say it's been eventful. I still occasionally turn on the back windshield wipers in an attempt to signal to traffic. (Why is that thing on the other side!?)


Kate, the pic above is dedicated to you... not sure you can see why!



Most of the time driving is spent sitting in stop and go traffic. So frustrating--and wasteful. And this is why I choose to ride a bicycle. I take every opportunity to get away from the city madness and pollution, and had the pleasure of running away to Jinja last weekend for two days. I stayed at my friend Celia's place (whom I met while at the Karibu Travel Fair in Arusha). 

She and her husband Jacque are South African expats who live in the countryside (all of Jinja is basically countryside with the exception of a small central downtown area). They also have three enormous dogs that can knock you over, or drag you down the road should you attempt to run with one of them on a leash (which I learned the hard way when I took Mickey the giant hound out upon my first visit to their place three weeks ago).
The other family members are Jack a Husky/Shepherd mix, and Otis, a Great Dane. I love going to visit these guys. Not only is it a chance to breathe fresh oxygen, go outside, and play in the beautiful scenery, they've made it a point to welcome people into their homes, making the culture shock I've experienced in this country melt away. We had a proper South African braai on both of my visits to their place, which is basically a BBQ but better. The meats are supposed to be cooked over wood I believe, but we make it happen with a coal grill nonetheless. And we also enjoyed giant avocados in salad, and braai brekkie, basically a delicious S. African version of grilled cheese. YUM!


This last visit was especially special, since Celia found out she is preggers. I'm so happy for them, they are lovely people and deserve nothing but the best.



Then this is how I spent the rest of my Sunday, which is basically how I would like to spend most Sundays--or in some approximate variation involving sand and margaritas.


Bye Jinja! (For now)

No comments:

Post a Comment